Our Advanced Handgun Shooting Class Will Teach You How To Deal With Multiple Threats, Assess Your Surroundings, and Tactical Handgun Efficiency. Classes Are Available To Private Citizens, Law Enforcement, & Military. Book My Class Now!
Introduction To Our Advanced Defensive Handgun Training Class
In my Advanced Defensive Shooting course, I will take you to the next level in how to handle your handgun. We will train at different distances with multiple assailant scenarios. I will provide you with tactics for shooting with your off-hand, in awkward positions. This is NOT just a simple “shooting down range” course. This Advanced course will solidify your tactical handgun skills and knowledge in any situation.
Completing the course will likely make you more skilled and capable than some law enforcement officers. Given that few assailants will wait for you to have adequate preparation time or to be in the best lighting for a good shot, this is the most useful and appropriate defensive shooting education when you just need to be able to defend yourself and your family.
Please be sure to read the helpful tips, info, & resources at the bottom of this page!
About Our Advanced Handgun Shooting Classes
There is the obvious benefit of being taken a bit more seriously by everyone who knows you when they know the extent of what you are willing to learn to safeguard everything you hold dear.
You will enjoy the training as well. This is serious training, but there is no reason you cannot have fun in doing this course.
When your life is being threatened, you cannot waste time responding to the situation. The bad guy isn’t going to be slow in trying to harm or rob you. My Advanced Defensive Handgun Shooting Course will provide you with a solid beginning in using your weapon properly and responsibly.
This 3-hour course is an action-based, range exclusive course that is more fun and exciting than a standard shooting course. I will train you in hands-on skills that will get you “GOOD” with a gun. Your instinctive abilities with a firearm will improve, and you will react quicker with better accuracy when you complete this course. Your basic skill will be a part of muscle memory, and your confidence with a firearm will be exponentially better.
If this is your first time working with me you, I will give you directions to my exclusive, private range in El Dorado County when you sign up for the gun course. My expertise and teaching skills will provide you with a fun, exciting, and stress- free learning environment.
Located In Folsom, CA – Come Experience For Yourself Why DefenseSHOT Was Voted The Best Handgun Training Company In El Dorado County!
What You Will Learn During Our Advanced Handgun Training:
- Off-hand shooting.
- Unconventional shooting positions (Positions Beyond: prone, sitting, basic standing)
- How to move during a fight to keep your handgun on target.
- Situational Awareness – “Know your enemy or enemies” and how to be aware of innocent bystanders.
- How to carry your concealed handgun most effectively for you (everyone is unique).
- The most efficient ways to reload or replace magazines during the conflict.
- The “extra” tactical techniques you need before and after high-threat situations.
Why Choose DefenseSHOT?
Many of my students are individuals that are older. Oftentimes, you may feel as if you cannot learn how to shoot. Let me assure that is far from reality. I have trained over 1,000 students, from cops to housewives. My program is designed to give you all the skills and practices that will make you a strong shooter.
Although I have a disciplined background, my teaching style is to encourage and focus you on the prize. I have testimonials that speak to my willingness to be patient.
Yes, I do smile as well. This is a relaxed shooting environment. You cannot learn to the best of your ability if you don’t have confidence in me.
Book Your Advanced Handgun Class With DefenseSHOT Today!
We proudly serve the Folsom, Roseville, & Sacramento area.
Enroll in my Advanced Defensive Shooting Course and ready yourself with confidence and conviction in your ability to handle any high threat situation!
This course will take you beyond the definition of prepared. In today’s climate, you need to be better than average to get the upper hand in high-threat situations. Whether the assailant is a common burglar or worse, enroll now to keep yourself prepared and ready for the bad guys.
Helpful CCW Tips, Resources, & Firearm Info Below!
Meet John, Your CCW Course Lead Instructor
I can understand if you need more details before committing yourself to my course. So you want to know who I am and what I “bring to the party”? Well, here I am in a nutshell.
My name is John. I have 17+ years of experience in law enforcement; I have also been a youth pastor at two churches, a licensed driving instructor, as well as many years of training in both marshal and material arts. Specific to firearms, I have the following certifications:
- National Rifle Association
- Certified Firearms Instructor
- Firing Range Safety Officer
- California Dept. of Justice Firearms Instructor
- Bureau of Criminal Investigations Instructor
- Concealed Carry Weapons (CCW) Instructor for California, Nevada & 35 other states
While these Certifications – many required by law- are extensive, what really sets me apart from the “other instructors” is my life experience. I didn’t just go out and get the basic, entry-level instructor certifications. I have many years of teaching experience and a God given gift to teach others, along with vast amounts of both professional law enforcement and personal experience in the use of force for the defense of self and others.
When you take my CCW course or any of the wide variety of firearms courses I offer, I approach each student as a unique person with unique requirements. My style of training is centered on patience, and understanding that everyone is not the same. The simple going through the motions and “checking the boxes” that qualify you for a CCW permit, is not good enough. If someone were not progressing well in class, I would see that as an indictment of me, not my student. The “checking the boxes” approach is not what I do.
When you work with me, I want you to get an A+, and more importantly, I want you to enjoy and retain the information in my course. This is why I regularly receive feedback from students who can’t believe how much they have learned so quickly. I also have a zero stress teaching philosophy. I know that you will learn more, retain more, and enjoy the class more when you don’t feel there is the stress of a tricky test hanging over your head. There is a test, but because our training is so good you can be confident that you will pass with flying colors. Over the years, none of our students have ever had a problem passing it. I understand that the threat of a difficult test is not an indication of good training and often, actually inhibits learning. This is why my classes are stress-free and entertaining.
Book my course, and you will experience a training method that is fun, with no stress and produces impressive effective results.
CCW Permit Application Info
For more information on the El Dorado County CCW application process click the on the applicable links below: We will also discuss the application in class, but here are some quick tips:
- The application will ask what reason you want to have a CCW and it looks like they want an essay. Simple write in there two words: ”Self Defense”. I know it says on the application they want more than that, but it’s not the case. Our Sheriff is very pro CCW and he prefers to keep it simple. (Sacramento is very similar and we do CCW training for them as well ) Click here for the Sacramento County CCW
- Be honest. If you stole a pack of bubble gum when you were a kid or you were in a scuffle and the cops showed up, even though you think it’s not on your record it probably is. If you have ever been in handcuffs, mention it. If you mention it you’ll be fine, if you fail to mention it, that could cause a problem. They aren’t going to deny you a CCW over a speeding ticket unless you were going 100 mph through a school zone backwards or something. Keep in mind they are looking for patterns of violence or recklessness. Even in those cases severity of the case and how long ago it happened are taken into account. Feel free to contact me privately if you like if you have a specific concern about your history. I’ll be happy to help.
- If you have had tickets in the past five years, mention them. You don’t have to dig them up and give the exact date. You could write something like, “I had a ticket in approximately 2015 in the Bay Area”. That would be fine.
- When you turn in the application – either before or after our class – you’ll want to call the nice people at the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office at (530) 621-5703 and make an appointment to drop off your application in person. You’ll take the application along with all the instructions that came with it and hand it in. You’ll be there for about 10 minutes while they take your picture (remember to smile) and roll your prints. They will also go over your application with you – reading back what you wrote down. hen you will have you sign it.
- After a few months, the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office will call you back in for a quick oral interview. There’s nothing to be anxious about. By that time you will have taken our DefenseSHOT CCW class. This will make your interview easy because you will have the best training and you’ll know what you are talking about. Keep in mind, in all the years we have been doing this we have never had a student denied.
NEW CCW APPLICANTS – CCW Application for New Applicant Rev. 08/05/2014
CCW RENEWAL – CCW Renewal Application Rev. 08/05/2014
Local CCW Laws & Helpful Links
In your efforts to become a responsible CCW Permit holder in El Dorado County, I think it is very important that you understand the local laws. These laws, like so many other aspects of government, are subject to modification based on changes in legislation at the local, state, and federal levels. I have provided a link below specific to the county and state laws for Firearms and ammunition.
New CCW Applicants – CCW Application for New Applicant Rev. 08/05/2014
CCW Renewals – CCW Renewal Application Rev. 08/05/2014
El Dorado County Laws – California State Firearms and Ammunition Laws
What To Expect (Classroom)
Expect to learn a new perspective of what firearms and concealed carry responsibilities are all about! Expect to have a good time and share a great experience with the other people in your class!
It doesn’t matter what your experience is with firearms is either. My teaching methods have positioned students with shooting proficiency that is beyond the skill level of many law enforcement officers after only one day of training in our Defense Shooting and Advanced Defense Shooting Classes.
I have even used my methods to assist active law enforcement officers to surpass firearms qualifying requirements they were struggling with.
The classroom is pretty informal, but it is a classroom setting (before going to the firing range). You will be able to get up and walk to the back of the class to stretch and move around. The chairs are padded, you’ll be seated in rows of tables in our beautiful classroom. We will take about a 10-minute break every hour or so during classroom training.
At the beginning of the course, I will give the location and directions to the DefenseSHOT firing range.
What To Expect (Firing Range)
SAFETY FIRST! OBEY ALL THE RULES! I can NEVER emphasize the this enough! Before we leave the classroom, I will give a brief introduction to range safety, and the voice commands you need to know and follow for the firing range portion of the course. When we get to the firing range, I will repeat a more detailed, “Walkthrough” training for voice commands, introduction to range safety, and the “Rules of the Range” that we briefly discussed in the classroom.
After we finish with range safety and walkthrough, we will:
- Live Fire qualifying rounds with your firearm in preparation for certification.
- Live Fire for official CCW Certification.
Bring The Following
- Comfortable “outdoor” clothes (weather appropriate) IF you intend to shoot with me after the mandatory classroom portion of the training. Shooting is optional and not required to get your CCW, but I do recommend it which is why I offer that training at no extra cost. There is no shooting test.
- Crew neck shirts are best, so you can avoid the experience of having the “hot brass” of spent cases cascading down the inside of your shirt.
- Pants or shorts.
- A baseball cap is recommended.
- Comfortable shoes: athletic shoes or hiking boots. No open toe sandals, please.
- Bottle water/soft drinks with snacks/lunch. (We are going to be together for 8 hours).
- Bring a piece of paper and a pen notes.( you’ll find you don’t need to take many notes due to my teaching style. You’ll find you just suddenly “ own” the information)
- If you intend to shoot, Bring safety glasses and hearing protection for the range. (Sunglasses and Rx glasses are fine if they have a safety rating). We do have eye and ear protection available if needed.
- If you intend to shoot, Bring at least 50 rounds of ammunition for your personal handgun. Handguns are also available if needed.
Firearm Transportation Rules & Laws
IMPORTANT: When traveling with a personal firearm to the classroom location, and to the firing range…
- Feel free to bring your UNLOADED firearm into the classroom in a hard or soft locked container.
- Please leave all ammunition in your car during classroom training.
In accordance with California State law:
“Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession,.. in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.”
To recap that: while traveling in your vehicle – to class for instance- your gun must be unloaded, and in a locked container. The ammunition cannot be in the container with the gun, or near the container. The ammunition should be near the opposite end of the vehicle from the gun container if possible. The law does not state what kind of container except that you can’t use the glove box or console as the “locked container” for your gun. I will not be checking for this, this is just to make sure you are in compliance in case you get pulled over.
Once you get your CCW you will be able to carry guns listed on your CCW loaded and placed anywhere in the vehicle provided it is out of sight and under your control.
Classroom & Firing Range Locations
Classroom Location – The class is located at Holiday Inn Express at Town Center 4360 Town Center Blvd El Dorado Hills, CA 95762. It is near the intersection of Town Center Boulevard and Post Court. Click here to get directions.
Firing Range Location – The firing range location is a secret off-site location that will be revealed to you via email on signup and in the classroom during the class. Our private shooting facility range is a secret off-site location only minutes away that will be revealed to you via email on signup and in the classroom during the class.
About El Dorado County
El Dorado County, located in east-central California, encompasses 1,805 square miles of rolling hills and mountainous terrain. El Dorado, Spanish for “Golden One,” was one of the original 27 Counties of the State of California, formed by an Act passed on February 18, 1850.
El Dorado County contains two municipal bodies. The largest city in the County is the City of South Lake Tahoe, with a population estimate of 23,594. Placerville, the County seat, is approximately 45 miles northeast of the California State Capitol, Sacramento.
Placerville has an estimated population of 10,171. The remaining County’s 144,144 residents live outside of the two incorporated areas. The diverse landscape of El Dorado County entices residents and tourists alike to enjoy outdoor recreation activities year-round.