Introduction To Our Placer County CCW Class
Do you want to be a part of our growing group of CCW holders in Placer County California? Do you want to know the secrets why DefenseSHOT has held a 100% Sheriffs Department approval rating for many, many years?
Now you can! DefenseSHOT has made it simple and affordable for thousands and thousands of people just like you to get your concealed weapons’ license with no special reason needed!
Get the very highest rated training in our zero stress, fun classes.
Like driving a car, carrying a loaded firearm in public is a responsibility, but with our training, it is no longer a daunting task. Because you will have the best training, you will be confident and enjoy carrying all over California.
Our CCW Classes Are Designed For Everyone!
Our DefenseSHOT officially certified and recognized Placer County CCW class meets and exceeds all training requirements to get your CCW License through the Placer CountySheriffs Office.
Learn from two retired Peace Officers – John Daniels Sr & Jr who served locally, Heather Daniels, and the highest rated homicide defense attorney in Northern California.
Whether you are twenty or one hundred twenty, able-bodied or disabled we can help you!
Our classes are generally about 50/50 ladies and gentlemen. We highly encourage ladies to get your CCW.
Just like your seat belt, you hope you never need to use it, but if you do, you’ll be glad it’s there. And you’ll be glad you received the top rated training.
About Our Placer County CCW Course
Our 8-hour Placer County CCW / concealed weapons license class is officially certified and recognized by the Placer County Sheriffs Office CCW Unit and satisfies all training required for your Placer County CCW. The CCW license it is recognized statewide. The class covers all aspects of CCW including handgun safety, use and specific handguns/ammunition for CCW, When to carry, When you would and would not use your gun. Holsters, purses and deep concealment. How to read your surroundings the way “cops” read our surroundings so that you can see trouble coming and avoid it or at least have time to react. Use of force. How to respond to questions after use of force and much, much more.
Whether you are new to guns or a veteran, this is the perfect class for you. Whether you know nothing about law or are an attorney, this is the perfect CCW class for you. We have trained many thousands of people from college age to retired Superior Court Judges. Our depth of knowledge combined with our easy to understand teaching style allows everyone to learn and enjoy the class. The first 7 hours of class are held in our beautiful large classroom with tables and new memory foam seating. The last hour is held at our private DefenseSHOT shooting facility close to the classroom. Our private shooting facility is 18 targets wide. It has 1000 square feet of roof, and cooling misters when needed.
Our private shooting facility allows us to teach in ways that aren’t possible at a public range. It also means you are saving money because you won’t be paying a range fee. The shooting is zero stress and not timed. You’ll be shooting at a huge target that is only 21 feet away. You’ll just need 30 rounds per gun to qualify, but feel free to bring more. Don’t worry about qualifying. All we ask is that you handle the gun safely. We’ll help you from there! The whole class from classroom to shooting is easy, stress-free and fun!
When You Leave Our Concealed Carry Permit Course, You Will Gain:
- All fundamental skills for gun use and ownership and well as carrying in public.
- Understanding and working knowledge of CCW laws.
- Proficiency and confidence handling your firearm.
- CCW certification officially certified and recognized by Placer County Sheriffs Office for Placer County residents to gain their California wide CCW.
- Knowledge and confidence about your new CCW that is only available through this ten-time award-winning class.
- The secrets to reading your surroundings the way “cops” read our surroundings. This skill set alone is invaluable. It will allow you in most cases to avoid danger altogether. In the instances that can’t be avoided, it will allow you to see the danger in advance and decide how to react best.
How We Can Help You Get Your Weapons Permit
I love to teach people! And my experience, in my law enforcement career, being a licensed driving instructor training everyone from kids on the freeway to people on the racetrack and even officers training at the CHP emergency vehicles operation course facility. Along with many thousands of hours of law enforcement training and as a youth pastor, have helped me to design a learning environment that is FUN, efficient, and memorable! With thousands and thousands of successful CCW students to my credit, I can guarantee that you will be MORE than satisfied with my course!
When you sit in our class you are in a group of students that include superior court judges, not peace officer staff and administrators from surrounding law enforcement and government agencies, top attorneys, retired officers and their families as well as an extensive and diverse group including everyone from college students to retirees.There is a reason that DefenseSHOT attracts so many professionals with ties to law along with our general crowd. It’s because you are choosing the best CCW training available and referrals by professionals from judges to officers know it. I make learning top notch training and knowledge easy, fun and stress-free.
Book a CCW class with me, and we will have a fun and exciting day at our beautiful classroom and private, El Dorado County DefenseSHOT shooting facility. This one day experience with me will set you up with the skills and assurance you need to protect yourself and your family for a lifetime.
I know that for many new to the Conceal Carry Firearms Community, there is a lot of room for uncertainty and confusion. Especially when it comes to understanding the laws and regulations of firearms, not to mention the tactics, skills, and operations necessary to handle a firearm well. That’s one of the many reasons why I do this. I want to level the playing field for responsible citizens like you and help you protect yourself and your family.
If you prepare yourself by taking my Placer County Conceal Carry Permit course, you will lay a foundation for a more safe, secure and confident future for yourself, your family and our community.
Helpful CCW Tips & Resources
Click On The Tabs Below To Read
CCW Application Instructions and Link
Below is a link that will take you to the Placer County CCW application. We will also discuss the application in class, but BEFORE YOU FILL IT OUT be sure to read these quick tips:
- The application will ask what reason you want to have a CCW and it looks like they want an essay. Simple write in there two words: ”Self Defense”. I know it says on the application they want more than that, but it’s not the case. The Sheriff is very pro CCW and he prefers to keep it simple.
- Be honest. If you stole a pack of bubble gum when you were a kid or you were in a scuffle and the cops showed up, even though you think it’s not on your record it probably is. If you have ever been in handcuffs, mention it. If you mention it you’ll be fine, if you fail to mention it, that could cause a problem. They aren’t going to deny you a CCW over a speeding ticket unless you were going 100 mph through a school zone backwards or something. Keep in mind they are looking for patterns of violence or recklessness. Even in those cases severity of the case and how long ago it happened are taken into account. Feel free to contact me privately if you like if you have a specific concern about your history. I’ll be happy to help.
- If you have had tickets in the past five years, mention them. You don’t have to dig them up and give the exact date. You could write something like, “I had a ticket in approximately 2015 in the Bay Area”. That would be fine. A ticket doesn’t mean you’re a bad person. It means you drive a car. Don’t be nervous about mentioning it.
- When you turn in the application – either before or after our class – you’ll want to call the nice people at the Placer County Sheriff’s Office at (530) 889-7800 and make an appointment to drop off your application in person. You’ll take the application along with all the instructions that came with it and hand it in. You’ll be there for about 10 minutes while they take your picture (remember to smile) and roll your prints. They will also go over your application with you – reading back what you wrote down. hen you will have you sign it.
After a few months, the Placer County Sheriff’s Office will call you back in for a quick oral interview. There’s nothing to be anxious about. By that time you will have taken our DefenseSHOT CCW class. This will make your interview easy because you will have the best training and you’ll know what you are talking about. Keep in mind, in all the years we have been doing this we have never had a student denied.
CLICK ON THE BUTTON BELOW TO FILL OUT YOUR PLACER COUNTY CCW APPLICATION FORM!
Meet John, Your Lead Instructor
I can understand if you need more details before committing yourself to my course. So you want to know who I am and what I “bring to the party”? Well, here I am in a nutshell.
My name is John. I have 17+ years of experience in law enforcement; I have also been a youth pastor at two churches, a licensed driving instructor, as well as many years of training in both marshal and material arts. Specific to firearms, I have the following certifications:
- National Rifle Association
- Certified Firearms Instructor
- Firing Range Safety Officer
- California Dept. of Justice Firearms Instructor
- Bureau of Criminal Investigations Instructor
- Concealed Carry Weapons (CCW) Instructor for California, Nevada & 35 other states
While these Certifications – many required by law- are extensive, what really sets me apart from the “other instructors” is my life experience. I didn’t just go out and get the basic, entry-level instructor certifications. I have many years of teaching experience and a God given gift to teach others, along with vast amounts of both professional law enforcement and personal experience in the use of force for the defense of self and others.
When you take my CCW course or any of the wide variety of firearms courses I offer, I approach each student as a unique person with unique requirements. My style of training is centered on patience, and understanding that everyone is not the same. The simple going through the motions and “checking the boxes” that qualify you for a CCW permit, is not good enough. If someone were not progressing well in class, I would see that as an indictment of me, not my student. The “checking the boxes” approach is not what I do.
When you work with me, I want you to get an A+, and more importantly, I want you to enjoy and retain the information in my course. This is why I regularly receive feedback from students who can’t believe how much they have learned so quickly. I also have a zero stress teaching philosophy. I know that you will learn more, retain more, and enjoy the class more when you don’t feel there is the stress of a tricky test hanging over your head. There is a test, but because our training is so good you can be confident that you will pass with flying colors. Over the years, none of our students have ever had a problem passing it. I understand that the threat of a difficult test is not an indication of good training and often, actually inhibits learning. This is why my classes are stress-free and entertaining.
Book my course, and you will experience a training method that is fun, with no stress and produces impressive effective results.
What To Expect (Classroom)
It doesn’t matter what your experience is with firearms is either. My teaching methods have positioned students with shooting proficiency that is beyond the skill level of many law enforcement officers after only one day of training in our Defense Shooting and Advanced Defense Shooting Classes.
I have even used my methods to assist active law enforcement officers to surpass firearms qualifying requirements they were struggling with.
The classroom is pretty informal, but it is a classroom setting (before going to the firing range). You will be able to get up and walk to the back of the class to stretch and move around. The chairs are padded, you’ll be seated in rows of tables in our beautiful classroom. We will take about a 10-minute break every hour or so during classroom training.
At the beginning of the course, I will give the location and directions to the DefenseSHOT firing range.
What To Expect (Firing Range)
- SAFETY FIRST!
- OBEY ALL THE RULES!
I can NEVER emphasize this enough! Before we leave the classroom, I will give a brief introduction to range safety, and the voice commands you need to know and follow for the firing range portion of the course. When we get to the firing range, I will repeat a more detailed, “Walkthrough” training for voice commands, an introduction to range safety, and the “Rules of the Range” that we briefly discussed in the classroom.
After we finish with range safety and walkthrough, we will:
- Live Fire qualifying rounds with your firearm in preparation for certification.
- Live Fire for official CCW Certification.
Bring The Following
- Comfortable “outdoor” clothes (weather appropriate) IF you intend to shoot with me after the mandatory classroom portion of the training. Shooting is optional and not required to get your CCW, but I do recommend it which is why I offer that training at no extra cost. There is no shooting test.
- Crew neck shirts are best, so you can avoid the experience of having the “hot brass” of spent cases cascading down the inside of your shirt.
- Pants or shorts.
- A baseball cap is recommended.
- Comfortable shoes: athletic shoes or hiking boots. No open toe sandals, please.
- Bottle water/soft drinks with snacks/lunch. (We are going to be together for 8 hours).
- Bring a piece of paper and a pen notes.( you’ll find you don’t need to take many notes due to my teaching style. You’ll find you just suddenly “ own” the information)
- If you intend to shoot, Bring safety glasses and hearing protection for the range. (Sunglasses and Rx glasses are fine if they have a safety rating). We do have eye and ear protection available if needed.
- If you intend to shoot, Bring at least 50 rounds of ammunition for your personal handgun. Handguns are also available if needed.
Firearm Transportation Rules & Laws
- Feel free to bring your UNLOADED firearm into the classroom in a hard or soft locked container.
- Please leave all ammunition in your car during classroom training.
In accordance with California State law:
“Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession,.. in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.”
To recap that: while traveling in your vehicle – to class for instance- your gun must be unloaded, and in a locked container. The ammunition cannot be in the container with the gun, or near the container. The ammunition should be near the opposite end of the vehicle from the gun container if possible. The law does not state what kind of container except that you can’t use the glove box or console as the “locked container” for your gun. I will not be checking for this, this is just to make sure you are in compliance in case you get pulled over.
Once you get your CCW you will be able to carry guns listed on your CCW loaded and placed anywhere in the vehicle provided it is out of sight and under your control.
Classroom & Firing Range Locations
New CCW applicants must attend BOTH classroom and firing range instruction.
Firing Range Location – The firing range location is a secret off-site location that will be revealed to you via email on signup and in the classroom during the class. Our private shooting facility range is a secret off-site location only minutes away that will be revealed to you via email on signup and in the classroom during the class.